Sunday, September 4, 2011

idioms and phrases - C

  Idiomatic Pairs of Adjectives



1. All in all (Supreme, of the first importance )

*  The Principal is the all in all in college.


2. All and sundry (all without distinction)

 *  He invited all and sundry to the feast.


3. In black and white (in writing)

  *  The witness gave his statement in black and white.


4. Fair and square (honest and proper)

  *  The sons made a fair and square distribution of their ancestral property among themselves.


5. Blow hot and cold (to be in favour at one time and against at another)

  *  Harish blows hot and cold. None believes him.


6. Hard and fast (strict, definite)

  *  There is no hard and fast rule in English.


7. High and low (everywhere)

  *  God is high and low.


8. Long and short (the sum and substance)

  *  Please tell me the long and short of this matter.


9. Rough and ready (not elaborate)
  *   I have prepared a rough and ready scheme for building my house.


10. Slow and steady (resolute,constant)
  *  Slow and ateady wins the race.


11.Safe and sound (quite well)
  * Mukesh returned from forest safe and sound.


12. Right or wrong (if it be right or wrong)

  *  Right or wrong, I will do this work.


13. Well and good (well as a thing goes)

  *  Well and good, you should try to help her.


14. Better half (wife)
  *  My better half is a good companion of mine.


15. High and mighty (arrogant)
  *  The manager is very high and mighty in his behaviour.


16. (At ) sixes and seven (in a state of disorder)
  *  When I reached his house, I found his books at sixes and sevens.



********************************************************

3 comments:

  1. I like your post to bits. Keeps it going and I’ll keep coming back and for the record I’ll share your page to some of my friends.

    www.n8fan.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting details! keep sharing articles like this. Kudos!

    www.triciajoy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Breathtaking post.

    Sherly
    www.gofastek.com

    ReplyDelete